Tooth whitening is a well established procedure in cosmetic dentistry. Tobacco, coffee, tea, alcohol, food coloring and other additives, as well as natural aging can all cause teeth to lose their natural white appearance. Tooth whitening is a cosmetic dental treatment that can provide patients with fantastic results, but have you ever stopped to think about the chemicals that are involved in the whitening process?
A dental whitening process can take hours, and all that time the patient waits while their teeth and gums soak in tooth whiteners — and in the process, they may end up ingesting a plethora of toxins. Home whitening kits indicate that the product may irritate gums, and they may highlight the risk of using the bleaching agent incorrectly, but there is very little warning about the chemicals that you are absorbing into your system as you wait for your teeth to whiten. Many of the toxic chemicals leak from the trays containing the whitening gel onto surrounding areas inside the mouth, and an alarming amount can be swallowed. At the very least, bleaching agents can cause damage to the nerves within the teeth leading to heightened sensitivity.
Chemicals in Whiteners and Whitening Toothpaste
Over the counter teeth whitening kits and toothpaste are filled with potentially toxic chemicals that could harm health and teeth, causing; extreme tooth sensitivity and mouth sores. The most common ingredient is hydrogen peroxide which is rapidly broken down in the mouth by saliva but studies show that in regards to teeth whitening procedures, at least 25 percent is swallowed, potentially releasing free radicals into the body and potentially stimulating the growth of cancer cells.
Additional ingredients found in some whitening products along with their most potentially adverse characteristics may include:
- Coal tars: Severe allergic reactions, asthma attacks, headaches, nausea, fatigue, lack of concentration, nervousness, increased risk of Hodgkin’s disease, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma. Found in bubble bath, hair dye, dandruff shampoo, toothpaste and foods.
- Fluorides: May contain lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic. Accumulates in body and contributes to bone disease. Potentially carcinogenic.
- Aspartame: Genetically Modified, synthetic sugar substitute. People report dizziness, headaches and even seizures. Scientists believe it can alter behavior due to altered brain function. Long term effects of this genetically modified organism on human health has not been studied or tested.
- Aluminum: Heavy concentrations may be linked to Alzheimer’s dementia. Aluminum is in many antiperspirants and prevalent in water supplies. Some processed foods contain dietary aluminum.
- Benzene: Inhalation of high levels can cause headaches, rapid heart rate, tremors, confusion, unconsciousness and death. Hodgkin’s and Lymphomas result from inhalation. Used in detergents, drugs, pesticides and adhesives.
Holistic Dental Whitening with Ozone
Perhaps the most current, safe and holistic way to whiten teeth is by use of Ozone Treatments which is generally applied where it is needed to kill germs, bacteria, fungi and viruses, effective within minutes and without any side effects. The added benefit of ozone treatment is that it has a bleaching effect on the teeth, it’s safe when done properly and has some great results. Call our office for more information or to make an appointment to learn more about ozone treatments.
List of the More Widely Known Dangerous Ingredients in Body & Food Products http://www.purezing.com/living/toxins/living_toxins_dangerousingredients.html
Swallowing chemicals from teeth whiteners is common and very dangerous http://www.naturalnews.com/033959_teeth_whiteners_chemicals.html