Ozone: Natural Healing Agent … or Just a Lot of Hot Air?
Touted as a skincare treatment, a cure for cancer, and Mother Nature’s sunscreen, Ozone (O3) has also raised interest – and eyebrows – in the dental industry. As a 12-year dental practitioner passionate about holistic healthcare, I have been drilling down on the truth about ozone therapy. Here, let’s bust some myths about ozone and explore the proven applications of this treatment option.
True: Ozone is the strongest oxidizer in medicine. It’s the most powerful anti-bacterial treatment known, with the ability to kill viruses, yeasts, and bacteria.
True: Our bodies naturally produce ozone. Our white blood cells, which we use to combat infections, live in an ozone environment. Ozone applied as a dental treatment supplements that which our bodies already use naturally to kill bacteria and fungus.
False: Ozone treatment is a proven cure for cancer. Ozone does inhibit the growth of new tissue, and some proponents advocate that certain cancer cells can be inhibited by ozone, but there are no studies or clinical trials proving as much.
True: Ozone is not yet approved by the FDA for medical purposes. It is, however, FDA approved for food preservation and water treatment.
False: Olive oil infused with ozone can make you look younger. Some products, however, infused with ozone, are used for the treatment of skin inflammation including dermatitis and seborrhea.
True: Ozone has been used successfully for many years to combat cavities, infections, periodontal disease, tooth sensitivity, and cavitations. It also has effective applications in whitening and oral surgery.
False: Ozone is toxic to humans in all forms. Ozone, inhaled in certain quantities, can cause respiratory issues in mammals. At The Center for Natural Dentistry, however, we follow protocols that strictly limit ozone inhalation in quantity.
True: Ozone in dental therapy is not administered in toxic doses; it is not inhaled, or injected into the blood stream. At the Center for Natural Dentistry, we deliver ozone under a strict protocol, making it a safe and effective treatment option.
True: As a practioner of dentistry, I have seen remarkable and often immediate results from the use of ozone therapy. The strong and vital correlation between our oral environment and our entire body is supported by the use of holistic treatments such as ozone.
Ozone Therapy as Treatment in Dentistry
Dr. Frank Shallenberger, M.D., has noted 13 major effects of ozone on the human body, which help explain its effectiveness in holistic dentistry.
- Ozone stimulates the production of white blood cells. As a result, allergies have a tendency to become desensitized.
- Interferon levels – globular proteins that orchestrate every aspect of the immune system – are significantly increased.
- Ozone stimulates the production of Tumor Necrosis Factor, inhibiting the growth of lone, metastasized cancer cells.
- Ozone stimulates the secretion of IL-2, one of the cornerstones of the immune system..
- Ozone kills most bacteria at low concentrations.
- Ozone is effective against all types of fungi.
- Ozone is the best virucide.
- Ozone is antineoplastic, which inhibits the growth of new tissue.
- Ozone oxidizes arterial plaque.
- Ozone increases the flexibility and elasticity of red blood cells, allowing oxygen levels to stay elevated for days, or even weeks after treatment with ozone.
- Ozone accelerates the Citric Acid Cycle. Also known as the Kreb’s Cycle or TCA Cycle, this is a very important step in the glycolysis of carbohydrate for energy.
- Ozone makes the anti-oxidant enzyme system more efficient.
- Ozone breaks down petrochemicals, which have a potential to place a great burden on the immune system.