Is Your Dentist Trying To Kill You?
Most people don’t love visiting the dentist. In fact, many people avoid the dentist at all costs. But could there actually be medical reasons to stay away from your dentist’s office and out of that chair? According to the FDA, the answer is YES!
Mercury and Your Mouth
We’ve all read the seafood warnings:”The FDA recommends that women who are pregnant…limit consumption of certain seafood due to the risk of high mercury levels.” So we know that mercury is toxic and we shouldn’t eat it. But what about mercury that’s already in your mouth… permanently?
If you have amalgam fillings in your mouth (the silver kind) you have mercury embedded in your teeth. Don’t have silver fillings? Your dentist used composite fillings? You’re still not out of the woods. Mercury is at it’s most toxic when the filling in placed, and when mercury vapor is released into the air. So even if you aren’t getting the filling, you could still be inhaling the vapor.
Not sure how toxic it might be? Dentists have been using amalgam fillings since the 1800’s, so it can’t be too bad, right? Wrong. The FDA recently released this warning: Dental amalgams “contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems…”
The bottom line? Mercury fillings are dangerous!
Your Highest Toxic Risk
When it comes to actually being exposed to mercury, the highest exposure is when the amalgam filling is placed. Right after the mercury and other metals are mixed, mercury vapors are released when the dentist places the fillings in your mouth. The heat generated when the filling is mixed increases the release of mercury vapors. So if your dentist did not help keep those vapors from entering your body, then you’ve just been exposed to some serious doses of mercury.
This is also another reason why the air in a dental office can be the worst air you can breathe. At all costs, do not enter a dental office where mercury fillings are placed.
The second highest incidence of exposure comes when mercury is being removed or extracted. The heat that is generated from the drill when a mercury filling is removed also increases the amount mercury removal. If the dentist does not take extra precautions to minimize the exposure to the mercury, then the dental patient may unnecessarily be in danger of mercury toxicity.
So what can you do? How can you protect yourself? How can you avoid mercury toxicity when you visit the dentist? How can you have your mercury fillings removed safely?
The first step is to visit a dentist who specializes in safe amalgam filling removal. When you call the dentist, ask for a copy of his or her client protection protocol for removing amalgam fillings. If they don’t have one (or something similar), call another dentist.
The second step is to only visit dentists who do not use amalgam fillings in their office. While many reputable dentists have completely eliminated their use of amalgam fillings, many other dentists have continued to place the mercury-based cavity plugs. To avoid inhaling “second-hand mercury vapor,” avoid dentists that use mercury. It’s that simple.
When You Come Visit Our Office…
We go to the extreme to keep you safe. As a natural dentist practice, we have designed our own, cutting-edge mercury removal procedures called the Patient Protection Protocol.
We minimize your exposure to toxic mercury vapors by utilizing the latest and most technologically advanced mercury ionizers, isolation practices, and dental techniques, ensuring the safest possible removal of your mercury-based fillings.
So the next time you get your appointment reminder card from the dentist and you start thinking of excuses to skip the appointment, think about the mercury… and think about calling a dentist who will go out of his way to keep you safe.
To learn more about mercury, click here: More on the Mercury issue here.
To find out more about our practice or to schedule an appointment, please take a look at our patient page: New Dental Patients.